What happens if you are not mindful of your energy as a leader? Whether your energy is positive or stuck in discomfort, your team will pick up on your mood and mirror your attitude. Evolution Hospitality’s Chief Wellness Officer, Dr. Romie, hosts this episode of “Wellness Evolved” as we discuss managing through change at our properties.
Campus & General Manager Michael Murray oversees operations at three hotels and over 200 team members on the Redondo Beach Campus. Michael shares how mindfulness, servant-leadership, and Evo’s guiding principles are helping his team navigate growth and change of his campus and the current organizational change in the company.
Murray’s advice on managing organizational change is to make sure that team members know that they have a seat on the bus. He discusses the importance of trusting the process, transparency in communication, and the role of mindfulness to build trust. Hear how their team implemented Evo’s corporate mindfulness program, The Power of Pause, with the help of his property’s Campus Culture Committee.
The Wellness Evolved Podcast is sponsored by Evolution Hospitality, a third-party hospitality management company with corporate headquarters in San Clemente, California. You can learn more at www.evolutionhospitality.com.
- [01:30] I introduce Michael Murray to the show and tell our story of how we met.
- [02:45] Michael tells his story of discovering EVO while working for a competitor.
- [03:29] Bear, Michael’s dog, and the sense of community and culture which drew him to Evo.
- [05:16] Michael speaks about his experience with the 21 Day Digital Detox Program and how this led him to initiate the mediation program at his campus.
- [08:27] Advice Michael gives to colleagues about corporate mergers and the changes which occur from mergers.
- [11:28] My response to Michael as we discuss the open culture of Evo.
- [13:21] Why I didn’t break into the refrigerator when Michael made chai mousse!
- [14:40] Michael speaks about the Leadership Check-In at the previous conference.
- [17:47] How Michael takes brain breaks and which breaks are his favorite.
- [19:31] Rethinking how to approach new transition and new projects.
- [21:19] Episode wrap-up and why Michael is a shining star at Evolution Hospitality.
Links and Resources: